Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has started to cover her food with a placement lately-

Customer Question
has been going on for...
My dog has started to cover her food with a placement lately- has been going on for two weeks. I come home from work only to find the food still there. No vomiting or other unusual signs
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/10/2015
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient. How many meals is she fed each day?What food does she eat?How much are you feeding here each day?How long has she been on this food?Is she spayed?If not, when was her last heat cycle?How much is she actually eating each day?
Hello and thank you fo rgetting back to me. Chey is fed twice daily- She gets 1/2 cup nature's variety kibble in the morning with yogur t mixed in plus fish oils. In the Evening she gets Nature's Raw meat patty with a scrambled egg and fortiflora mised in
she's been on these foods for two years. Yes she is spayed. She gets the appropriate amuont for her weight which is 38 lbs
Jacustomer,
Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful
The most common reason for this to occur is when a dog is getting more food than it need on a daily basis. Now for the variety kibble, a dog 35 pounds should receive about 1 1/4 cups of food each day and for the patty about a 7 ounce patty for the whole day according to their website. Now when you add it a scrambled egg as well as yogurt and that you are feeding more than one food, that makes it harder to determine the correct amount. So I think you are likely feeding the right amount of dry kibble but probably too much of the patty plus scrambled egg and yogurt.
One general guideline shows adult dogs that are neutered need about 900 calores a day and this was for raw diets. since your dog has been eating this amount for 2 years, it is likely to have been the correct amount when your pup was a young dog (1-2 years) as they are still growing and filling out and more active than a mature dog. Now she is matured into an adult with a lower energy requirement. Thus she is "burying" the excess for the future. We see this all the time as a pregnant dog nears her whelping time. They will bury food for future use.
Reduce the amount of kibble since this seems to be what she is hiding. Try reducing it by a third and continue the evening meal as is for now. Keep a close eye on her weight to ensure she isn't losing weight at all. If she isn't then it is probably just that her calorie needs have reduced with maturity.
If her weight starts going down or she develops new symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, etc, then have her seen immediately for diagnostic testing. I know I couldn't give you a definite cause, but diagnostic testing wouid need to be run since she seems to be doing ok and has no symptoms besides a reduced appetite which tends to happen when a dog matures and becomes less active.
I hope this informaiton is helpful to you and if you need more information or clarification, just reply. If it is helpful, I hope you take this opportunity to rate my response.