Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog is a hound an he has an ear hematoma. We decided to

Customer Question
drain it and go the...
My dog is a hound an he has an ear hematoma. We decided to drain it and go the antibiotic steroid route instead of survey. He was fine for a month then it filled up again. Now he's on cephalexin and a 50 lb dose of dog aspirin daily. 500 mg 2x a day of the cephalexin. He was on the cephalexin one night and one morning dose when I can home and found he had what looked like a tooth abscess. It's on the opposite side as the ear issue. Could it be a gland issue or coincidentally a tooth access? Is the 500 mg cephalexin going to help with a tooth access?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
7/9/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. Dave, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Hello, and thanks for writing in.
I'm sorry to hear that these problems are going on with Cracker.
If Cracker truly has a tooth root abscess, it would be unrelated to the ear hematoma. Each of those problems occur for separate reasons. They would occur at the same time only coincidentally.
Yes he looks lopsided. He looks as if he has a tooth access on the opposite side as the ear hematoma. Could it be related? Is this a serious emergency? He seems to be eating fine- he is now sleeping after eating a pork chop! But I'm worried. Will the cephalexin also help with a tooth access?
The cephalexin will not likely help much with a tooth root abscess. It might help a little, but there are much more effective antibiotics for oral/dental infections.
I have amoxicillin but I'm afraid to give him that with what the vet had him on- the cephalexin. Is it bad to give both? Also I have problems taking amoxicillin- will he get stomach cramps from it too?
A tooth root abscess is not necessarily an emergency, but you will want to get it checked out as soon as you can, since they can be painful (even if Cracker is eating), and you want to get the infection under control as soon as possible (which would not only involve appropriate antibiotics, but removal of the tooth also).
Amoxicillin and Cephalexin can be given together (you would need to consult with your veterinarian for prescribing and dosing for Cracker), but they can both cause stomach upset (vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite). The stomach upset chance would be that much greater if on both antibiotics.
With most infections, dogs don't need both Amoxicillin and Cephalexin at the same time.
Clindamycin and Clavamox are the most commonly prescribed antibiotics for oral and dental infections.
Ok- thanks. I'm going to take him in tomorrow afternoon. Unfortunately I have to work in the AM but I'll get him there as soon as I can. Thank you!! I was just wondering if they could be related. It's weird that all of a sudden he has a tooth access- I was wondering if it wasn't a gland thing- but it's on the opposite side.
Good to hear that you will be getting Cracker looked at tomorrow - that is the best thing to do for him.You're very welcome - glad to be here to help out!
I hope everything goes well with Cracker. You sound like a very good, concerned dog owner. Cracker is lucky to have you as his friend!
Aw- he's my fur baby! Thanks
Hello,I'm checking in to see how Cracker is doing. I hope he's doing well, and please let me know if I can help you further, and also if my information we talked about previously was helpful to you.
Thanks for checking on cracker. Bet suspects access but waiting til he's fully recovered to pull any teeth. His abscess has gone completely down. Now it just remains to set s date for the ear hematoma survey at university of Florida. $1200 :(. So we are saving and planning. Thanks!
Vet
Surgery. Oh this dumb smart phone lol.
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian