Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

We also have a small breed mix with rawness on the whole

Customer Question

Hi, we also have a small breed mix with rawness on the whole top of his nose. He started having an anxiety problem with the sound a wood workers machine would make while he was outside and our dog would jump at the door incessantly and lick his nose as it would become really wet with his anxious panting. We have moved now and we were hoping it would clear up but it seems to be an area that just regularly has a lot of attention from him. I don't know what to put on it that would either keep him from licking, it seems a habit thing now, and/or heal it without drawing his attention to lick whatever salve off...
Thank you for any thoughts!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Can you upload a photo of Jitz's face to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
When the bridge of the nose is affected, we consider quite a few possible etiologies - nasal pyoderma (bacterial skin infection), dermatophytosis (fungal infection), mange mites (Demodex), autoimmune skin diseases such as the pemphigus complex, eosinophilic furunculosis, and nasal solar dermatitis ("sunburn").
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Aloha,
The two pictures I added are a now picture first and the picture with the baby is from when the rawness began. It seemed As though it began when he became fearful of that sound and since has just been an area that received a lot of attention from him whenever excited or really active.
Thank you! Yes, that area may have simply been traumatized but I can't rule out the other etiologies I mentioned without performing a cytology - a microscopic exam of a small sample of the affected skin surface looking for abnormal numbers of bacteria or yeast - a fungal culture, and perhaps even a punch biopsy of the affected skin. It's an impossible area to medicate topically for the very reason you mentioned - she keeps licking off anything you apply. Any therapy will need to be systemic - antibiotics, antifungal drugs, or corticosteroids by mouth. (I don't need to perform skin scrapings - that area isn't going to be related to a mange.)
Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** hoping I could topically address the area to soothe it. I'll take him in.
Aloha
You can see if alternating over the counter Polysporin (or generic triple antibiotic ointment) with over the counter hydrocortisone ointment every 8 hours is helpful. You'll need to convince Jitz to leave that area alone!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I just wanted to make sure that whatever I put on it wouldn't be toxic or harmful in the event that he does lick it off. If those ointments aren't bad for him we'll try it. Thank you
The most I'd expect in the way of adverse effects is mild GI distress - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea from ingesting those ointments. It's more likely that you won't see any adverse effects at all. Remember, only a thin film of ointment rubbed thoroughly into the skin is necessary. See if can distract Jitz with play or food after your ministrations.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** *****
Sounds good. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks for your help.
It's my pleasure.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jitz. How is everything going?