petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My 14 yr old Shiba Inu has been having soft stools off an on

Customer Question

My 14 yr old Shiba Inu has been having soft stools off an on for the past two weeks. She's on Derramax for arthritis pain and Cestex for tapeworms. She just started on the Cestex last Thursday and the Derramax almost two weeks ago. She doesn't act sick, is pretty active, eating and drinking normally. Not sure if the soft stools are related to tapeworms, the treatment or something else. She also has a sensitive stomach and has been eating different kinds of dog food when we visit family.
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 years ago.
What it sounds like you are describing is colitis or inflammation of the large bowel. The signs can be very intermittent can vary in severity, from normal stools to mushy to very soft, all even within one day at times. Seeing mucus or blood is not unusual as well. There can be sense of urgency to move their bowels and many of the pets will strain when having a BM, which to the owner can almost look like they are constipated. Many pets with colitis have GI discomfort and some will even vomit. Colitis can have many causes including intestinal parasites, dietary indiscretion, food allergies or intolerance, metabolic disturbances from internal organ malfunctions, viruses, toxins, cancer or even stress. If it continues, your veterinarian will want to know the history of his signs and will need to perform a physical exam to help rule out the causes mentioned. They may perhaps suggest a change in diet or medications. Make sure they also perform a rectal exam to evaluate her anal glands. A stool sample analysis is a very important part of getting to the bottom of this as intestinal parasites are one of the most common causes. In her case, the tapeworm may be involved, but the varying food selections may be involved as well. When she is going through a flare up, I would fast her to give her GI system a rest. Since she is an adult dog, a 12-24 hr fast will not hurt her and will let her gut calm down. Continue to offer small amounts of water at a time. When you do begin feeding her again, you will want to offer frequent, small meals of something very digestible for her. These would include items like boiled hamburger or chicken and rice or pasta. No sauces or gravies, but a little non greasy broth would be OK. If the stools improve, I would continue that for a few days and then slowly wean her back onto her normal food and feeding schedule. Adding a teaspoon per meal of metamucil may help to firm up her stools. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100%satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.Dr Z
Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Z.