Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My Dog Howie, pants a lot at night. we took him to a Vet yesterday

Customer Question
they did bloodwork. All came...
My Dog Howie, pants a lot at night. we took him to a Vet yesterday they did bloodwork. All came out normal but they noticed a mass buildup in or around his liver when they X-rayed him. Today we are taking him for an ultra sound. He pants a lot for no reaasopn and ddrinks a lot of water and sakes us up several times at night to drink water and to go out and teetee. What do you think is the problem? We love him very much.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
7/8/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. The increased thirst/ urination is a common presenting sign for many things- Cushing's, Diabetes, Liver Disease, Kidney Disease, cancer, ect. If the bloodwork was normal, but there is a mass effect around the liver, then I would wonder if the signs are due to liver cancer or Lymphoma. The ultrasound will help to determine the cause. I would also get a liver aspirate or biopsy with ultrasound guidance. This will help determine what is going on and what measures need to be taken to treat him and resolve the signs. There are multiple types of liver cancer. Some are treated with surgical removal of a liver lobe. Some respond to chemotherapy. Some are aggressive and no treatment is all that effective. Lymphoma is a common cancer that can effect the liver. This cancer responds pretty well to chemo. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian