Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I have a small beagle mix around 3 yrs old. In the last two

Customer Question

I have a small beagle mix around 3 yrs old. In the last two weeks he has dropped alot of weight even though he is eating his food. Today I noticed his urine is a dark rust color.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...What do you feed Jasper?Any vomiting or diarrhea?Have you changed foods recently?Did you worm him for a reason?Have you had his feces checked to see what kind of worms he has?Is he drinking more than usual?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He eats purina healthy morsels. He was starting to drop weight so ww thought he was getting wormy and wormed him with an OTC dog wormer.
I went on vacation and my son ran out of feed so he bought a cheaper food. But he was already showing signs of weight loss before this.
He is very lethargic but no vomiting or diarrhea. Drinking and eating normally.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You have not told me anything. You have only asked me questions. I have no solution but you have my $19!
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.
When did he switch the foods?What did he switch to?
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.
I'm still working with you...I'm still here. I'm just trying to get more information.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just 2 days ago. Kibbles and Bitz
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have had alot of stray dogs in the area also.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The site said until i was happy with my answer my card wouldnt be charged. You haven't offered me anything yet but the card is charged....
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it and your patience.Here are my thoughts....First...it's definitely possible that he's got an issue with worms. The problem with over the counter deworming medications is that not all medications clear up all worms. For example...if your dog is treated with a dewormer for roundworms, but he actually has hookworms or whipworms, it's not going to do anything other than put stress on the kidneys as the body eliminates the wormer.Secondly....Purina has had many, many recalls on dog food, so it's possible that this is something more serious than simple worms. The dark urine can indicate...usually indicates...and issue with the kidneys, and with the recalls, what we're seeing are kidney problems.Because of this...if this were my dog, I'd have the vet take a peek and run both a urinalysis to check for blood in the urine, and some blood work to check kidney function. If he defecates before the appointment, I'd bring a fecal sample as well so they can check to see exactly what kind, if any, parasites we're dealing with. Then they'll send out the right medication to get rid of them.I hope this helps.