Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

Dr, I have a 13 yr old spayed Boston Terrier. The only

Customer Question

Hi, Dr, I have a 13 yr old spayed Boston Terrier. The only medication she is on is Dulera. This morning when she peed I noticed mucous. Is this normal?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about your girl Panda because she has mucous in her urine.Dulera is a steroid inhaler used in people with asthma, it is not something used commonly in dogs. Certainly if she is on a steroid she will be more predisposed to a urinary tract infection.Increased mucous indicates that there is inflammation somewhere, either in her urinary tract or her reproductive tract.If she is not spayed she may be coming into heat.If she is spayed then she may have a urinary tract infection, or crystals or calculi forming in in her urinary tract, or she may not be drinking adequately and her urine may be very concentrated.. Since this is new for her I do recommend that she see her veterinarian. If she is eating and drinking normally and is having no trouble passing urine it isn't an emergency, but because this can signify a health problem she should be examined and a urinalysis checked.In the meantime encourage her to drink as much as possible and take in additional fluids. Add water or low salt broth to her food. Offer ice cubes to lick.Whatever is going on diluting her urine and keeping her hydrated is the best thing you can do for her. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am so sorry, Dulera is MY medicine. Panda is on Denosyl. Sorry for the misinformation
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She sleeps a lot during the day, and all night. She comes outside with me in the mornings for about two hours and is active. We live in the desert and it is around 104, so she just goes outside to pee during the day.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
No worries, I was wondering if you had written her medication name incorrectly.Denosyl is used as a liver support drug. It has some anti-inflammatory properties too, and should not cause her to have more mucous in her urinary tract.I am wondering if she is holding her urine a bit because it is so hot and isn't drinking as much as she should, thus her urine is more concentrated and a bit more irritating to her urinary tract. It seems unlikely that she has a bad infection, because if she did I would expect her to be urinating small amounts frequently, straining to urinate and generally uncomfortable. She may have a low grade infection though, or she may be forming some crystals which can irritate her urinary tract.I would try to push fluids as I recommended above and see if things improve with that, if not she should see her veterinarian.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Panda. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara