Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

My dog has red bumps all over her belly. She doesn't scratch

Customer Question

Hi. My dog has red bumps all over her belly. She doesn't scratch at them or even seem to notice, but they scare me. Because of her floppy ears, she has ear issues all the time but that's a story for a different post. I'm worried that she's allergic to... The ground, maybe? We just moved and she's in and out as often as she chooses now. Our other two dogs aren't affected by anything out here. This was a huge move and I can't afford to get her to the vet for another couple of weeks. If there's an emergency, they'll provide care on a payment plan. Is there anything safe for me to try to help reduce the redness and weird little bumps while I'm waiting for my next paycheck?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name is***** will try to help.
It does sound like an allergic reaction.
I would give her benadryl. The human benadryl. 1 mg of benadryl, per each pound of dog every 12 hours as needed.
Yes, the cortizone 10 is fine. You can apply it three times a day as needed. It is not toxic if she licks it.
If she is allergic to something her belly is coming in contact with then it will be helpful to wash her belly at least once a day. You can use sensitive skin baby wipes or soap, or shampoo, and water.
If the affected area becomes hot, swollen, or a deep red all over then she probably has a secondary bacterial infection and she needs antibiotics.
If she starts to lick the area you can put an e-collar on her. They sell them at Petsmart.
How does that sound? Do you have any additional questions?