Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I have a little poodle mix and past few days she has

Customer Question

I have a little poodle mix and for the past few days she has been chewing and licking around her vagina which has caused a little bleeding around it, but it is not swollen...more so after she pottys...could she have a bladder infection or yeast
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome. The original expert you asked for is not online. My name is ***** ***** I have been working with dogs for 25 years. Dog will often do this if there is a problem and this can be due to bladder stones, Urinary tract infection, or a vaginal infection. Stones may require surgery, change in diet and oral antibiotics. A UTI, or vaginal infection would require antibiotics. These you can only get from your vet. I would start with the simplest thing first which would be to catch a first of the morning urine sample and drop that off to your vet. This can determine a UTI and any crystals that may cause stones.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
Some vets will ask that you leave the dog with them to get a sample via a catheter so they get what is a clean sample. If this is the case they will ask you to not let her out in the AM and just bring her in to do this or they may ask you to leave the dog with them for the day until they can grab a sample. Each vet is different in how they do this.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
If that comes back clear then you want to get a vaginal swab done to test for infection