Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our 7 pound toy poodle had surgery cancer on June

Customer Question

Our 7 pound toy poodle had surgery for thyroid cancer on June 23rd. The surgery was more extensive than what they thought. The cancer was around her thyroid, in her larynx and jugular vein. As much as possible was removed along with some muscle as well. Tomorrow will be day 13 of having her stitches in. Can this be too soon to take them out as this surgery was much more invasive than they thought? What are pros and cons of delaying or not delaying suture removal? My husband is having a surgery himself on Tuesday so we were thinking about delaying until July 10 or July 13th. Would like your opinion. Thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now if they have been in for 13 days, I suspect she is nearly due to have them out. For invasive surgeries or in older dogs with slower healing, we tend to leave sutures in for ~10-14 days. This ensures that we are giving the skin adequate time to heal and reducing any risk of wound break down once the sutures are removed.

Now at day 13, we likely can go either way here with Biscuit. So, if you prefer to have them removed sooner, then there is no reason you cannot book her in for the vet to assess them, give the all clear, and remove these for you. Otherwise, if you have to delay their being removed, that is fine too. It will do no harm, and if anything would just be a wee bit more uncomfortable for Biscuit when they are removed (since the skin will have grown more around them). But generally speaking, it is no sin to leave them in a bit longer and that is always preferable for any of us (dogs and people) as opposed to removing them to early and allowing the wound to reopen.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. We did have her sutures removed today and I forgot to ask the surgeon if it is ok for her to jump on furniture yet. She is a very lively puppy- like dog even though she is 10! She likes to jump up and lay on the back of the sofa. She seems fine. Could you give your opinion on jumping up on the sofa. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome Susan,

I would expect everything to be healed, inside as well, so she should be just fine to resume normal life and jump on the sofa if she wished to.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Susan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Biscuit. How is everything going?

nekovet