Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My son's dog is in heat and hooked up with a mutt a few days

Customer Question

My son's dog is in heat and hooked up with a mutt a few days ago. We took her the same day for the injection to prevent pregnancy. Now she has hooked up...for only a few minutes...but again! Will a douche be effective? What else can be done?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
I'm sorry to hear of this situation especially since she was given an injection to prevent pregnancy. These shots can cause uterine infections which if not caught can lead to spaying to remove the source of the infection (uterus).
Since it can take awhile for the mismate shot to cause abortion, it is probably unlikely this mismating so soon afterward would result in a pregnancy. However, the shot doesn't always prevent pregnancy. You can read about the mismate shot here:
http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pet-advice/10-faqs-about-the-mismate-injection.html
In my opinion, it would be better for the dog's health to allow her to have a litter and find good homes for them if the mismate shot did not prevent pregnancy rather than increase her chances of developing a uterine infection.
She could still be bred in the future with another Bull terrier with no adverse affect on the pups produced at that time. The pups would be purebred if both parents were purebred.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My son says the AKC will not recognize a litter if the female has had a "mutt" litter beforehand. This is an expensive dog bought to breed...so this is a concern for us!
JaCustomer,
That is not true at all. I've been an AKC breeder for over 18 years. As long as both parents are AKC registered when the female is bred, the litter can be registered. It isn't like a mutt male's sperm hangs around for years inside a female. A male dog's sperm lives up to 5 days inside a female and then dies. It can not have an affect on future litters. I did want to clarify that you can not mate the dog with another purebred dog during the same heat cycle and register the pups. It is fine to mate with a purebred during the next heat cycle.
In addition, the AKC will never even know the female had a litter of pups that was not purebred before. His dog is not the first to be accidently impregnated by a mutt. It happens all the time. Most breeders let the dog have the litter as it is safer for the female and just mate the next time with the preferred purebred male.
Here is akc page that clearly states that if both parents are AKC registered, the pups may be registered. It is under Step four.
http://www.akc.org/dog-breeders/responsible-breeding/
It is a common misconception that a dog that has bred with a non purebred can never be bred to a purebred, but in that case, your female would already be unable to be bred because she did indeed mate with a mutt. So tell your son that it is not true at all.