Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog is gagging but not throwing up she is a pom and has…

Customer Question
My dog is gagging but...
My dog is gagging but not throwing up she is a pom and has been doing it for a few hours - her breathing seems fine we have tried to look in her mouth but imposible
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 day by:
7/6/2015
Dog Specialist: Camille-Mod,
 replied 3 years ago
Camille-Mod
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Such gagging may be an important symptom but isn't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. It can represent simple irritation in Krystal's naso- or oropharynx ("back of her throat"), infection such as infectious tracheobronchitis ("kennel cough"), or perhaps GI distress causing gastroesophageal reflux (GERD, acid reflux, heartburn).
If Krystal has already remissed, there's no need to pursue a diagnosis. If she has continued to gag or, indeed, worsened or new symptoms have arisen, it would be prudent to have her vet take a look. Her vet can sedate Krystal so that a thorough exam of the back of her throat can be made. It frustrates me that I can't be more specific for you from here. I, too, would need to carefully examine Krystal up close and personal.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.