Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog is suddenly panting, coughing, gagging, and seems like

Customer Question
his back legs are weak...
My dog is suddenly panting, coughing, gagging, and seems like his back legs are weak
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
7/5/2015
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 2 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Hello and welcome. The original expert you asked for is not online. My name is ***** ***** I have been working with dogs for 25 years.
I am sorry that no one answered you sooner. I just came online and saw your question.
Any coughing can be a serious problem and one not to take lightly. This can mean a heart problem, heart worm, kennel cough, dog flu, foreign body obstruction in the airway, or lung problems.
Since there is weakness involved all the more reason to seek out care. If it is a heart problem this will show weakness in the body and the dog may even pass out.
I would check the tongue , if it is bluish /gray then she is not getting enough oxygen to the body. If it is white or pale this can mean bleeding inside or shock.
I would take the dogs vital signs as well such as heartbeat, temperature, capillary refill time. I will direct you to a site to take you step by step in this.
What is Normal in dogs
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx
here is more on coughing in dogs,
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/chronic-coughing-in-dogs
Dogs can also get reverse sneezing which sounds scary to humans but is not life threatening. The dogs body may stiffen up during this. I am gong to direct you to a video of a reverse sneeze to compare to your dog. Each dog is different in how violent it looks so if you just google reverse sneeze you will see many different videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3L4v0W2_S
Another possibility is a collapsing trachea. This will also look like a reverse sneeze or show coughing and gagging but may not show weakness in the legs.
More information on a reverse sneeze and collapsed trachea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puFXxq2Z7Bs

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jack. How is everything going?

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant