Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog is a Maltese-shih tzu mix and he keeps dry heaving

Customer Question

Hello my dog is a Maltese-shih tzu mix and he keeps dry heaving but earlier he threw up a couple pea size black chunks that almost looked like fecies or mud maybe? But not he can't get anything out... This has been going on since about 9 this morning... What should I do....?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.
Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. I'm sorry it's taken a bit for someone to get to you. Different experts come online at different times, and with it being a holiday, I suspect many are off with families. I just came online and saw your question and wanted to address it right away.Do you have a cat box?How is he doing this morning?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah I do but he is gated off from the cat box but we do have quite a few rabbits in our back yard. He hasn't been hacking all morning until like 5 mins ago he did it just once after he got a big drink of water.
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.
Did he eat normally this morning?He's only done the coughing/vomiting thing once this morning?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah he ate like normal hasn't done the coughing thing since...
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.
Good. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.I suspect that he had gotten into some rabbit droppings in the back yard and they caused him to have an upset stomach. The good news is that he seems to be on the mend.I would have been more worried if he had a tight, painful belly, or if he was still feeling off this afternoon, but since he's mostly back to normal, I think we can chalk it up to a little digestive upset due to dietary indiscretion...meaning, he ate something that didn't agree with him.I hope this helps.