Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My 1 yr old Dashound ate a bunch of hard plastic yesterday Today

Customer Question

My 1 yr old Dashound ate a bunch of hard plastic yesterday
Today he seem less active and wouldn't eat so I took him to a animal hospital
They took Xray but negative but The plastic was Clear, hard and he chewed into hundreds of sharp pieces
I brought him home and he did vomit about 2 teaspoons of yellowish substance
He then had some diarea but seems a little leathargic
He won't eat
Any advise?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for requesting me. It would not be unusual for plastic not to show up in an xray.
The fact that he is not eating and vomiting as well as had some diarrhea to me suggests there may be a blockage that they missed on the xray.
You can try fasting him for 12 hours then try giving a bland diet of boiled chicken and cooked white rice. If he turns his nose up at that then take him back. They may have to do surgery.
In the mean time Keep an eye on all his vital signs, watch the gums and check for fever. If he vomits more or has more diarrhea tonight I would bring him to the vet first thing in the AM and have them look at him again.
I am going to direct you to a site that will tell you how to take the vital signs. IF you see pale or white gums tonight I would get him in of if the capillary refill time is off I would have him seen.
Obstruction (foreign body)
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-
dogs/page1.aspx
What is normal in dogs http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx