Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog's stool yesterday was dark and string and a small amount... now she tried to p…

Customer Question
my dog's stool yesterday was...
my dog's stool yesterday was dark and string and a small amount... now she tried to poop nothing comes out and i saw that clear liquid tinged with stool... is she ok?
we just rescued her on saturday... she has been passing a lot of gas... not sure if we are giving her the same food she was used to... same brand though
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
7/2/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
The clear fluid is colonic mucus. Being tinged with blood indicates ulceration or severe inflammation in the colon (colitis). The first thing to do for a rescue is to presumptively worm her with seven consecutive days of over the counter (in pet/feed stores) fenbendazole (Panacur) which is a broad spectrum wormer against nematodes* that also addresses Giardia - a common blood-causing protozoan. *Roundworms, and particularly hookworms and whipworms are also blood producing.
A change in diet and simply the stress of a new home can underlie diarrhea which if severe enough can cause bleeding. I don't believe that she's constipated; instead, tenesmus (straining) due to colitis is more likely.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
The colonic mucus did not have a tinge of blood... It was a brownish yellowish color... On her anus you could see there was a some traces of yellowish brown stool tiny splatters... The day before she had popped thin pieces of stool that were dark but when wiped there was no traces of blood, dark fecal mater rather the same brown yellowish color... Do u still think it's inflammation in the colon?
I'm puzzled. You mentioned "clear liquid tinged with blood". Please clarify.
I wrote tinged with stool 😉
You did. Great, I'm not only getting old, I'm getting blind. Mea culpa.
I'll back up a bit. Yes, the presence of colonic mucus indicates excessive mucus formed by an inflamed colon (colitis). This is enough to prompt presumptive worming with the fenbendazole I mentioned. I prefer going that route prior to administering other drugs such as the antiinflammatory antibiotic metronidazole or symptomatic remedies such as Pepto Bismol or a dietary change. These can always be considered if worming and the tincture of time doesn't suffice to normalize these patients.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lilly. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian