Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has little white worms (resemble grains of rice).

Customer Question
Hi, my dog has little...
Hi, my dog has little white worms (resemble grains of rice). What medication will remove these creatures?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
7/2/2015
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
It sounds like you are describing tapeworms. Tapeworms release segments that exit the anus and spread tapeworm eggs into the environment. They can cause severe itching in some dogs. They can usually be seen in the stool and are small about 1/2 inch moving things. If the stool has dried, they look like rice in the stool or stuck in the hair around the anus. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms.
Dewormers with praziquantel can usually be found in your local feed stores like tractor supply or large pet stores. Piperazine helps eliminate roundworms and won't eliminate tapeworms.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.