Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My 2yr old German short hair keeps whipping his head

Customer Question

Hello
My 2yr old German short hair keeps whipping his head around and nipping, licking or just looking at his back as if there is a bug there. We took him to the vet and they didn't find anything as far as external injury or bug bites. He only used to do it outside and now he has been doing it inside also. I'm starting to wonder if its neurological. Thank you
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This has been happening for about 3 weeks. We had taken him to the vet after about a week of doing this. The vet has since offered steroids.
The area is his back above his hips, not necessarily his rear end
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
hello and thank you for requesting me. I would assume they checked the anal glands and that was okay. If they did not then be sure to take a look for any swelling or redness. What may be happening is that there is a slight pinch of the nerve which causes pain and then she checks out what hurt her. If there is a disc or nerve issue your vet may not find it upon exam, even pressing along the back may not show a problem. In some cases a myelogram needs to be done which is where dye is put into the system to see the discs.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
Are the steroids helping?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
Was the dog checked for hip dysplasia ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We declined the steroids, for the time being. Would you suggest going with them? That might take some pressure off any disk/nerve problem
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
I know it can help with disc/nerve issues, but you do have to ween them off and use them exactly as directed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't think he was checked recently for that (my husband took him to the vet, not me. I'll ask him
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
What about an anti inflammatory , did they give that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He doesn't seem in pain, just annoyed like there's a fly.No, no meds given at all
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
I think it may be a slight pinched nerve, a quick pain with maybe a wrong movement then things go back to normal.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
And the dog is on a flea med correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, he is
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Vectra
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
okay, then it would not be flea bites. I would try the steroids for the short period and see if it helps. As well keep the dog very well rested.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great, thank you
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
you are very welcome.