Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I found a bunch of seed ticks on my puppies along with a few…

Customer Question
I found a bunch of...
I found a bunch of seed ticks on my puppies along with a few adults. I don't know if they possibly got into a nest of ticks somewhere? Could they possibly have Lyme disease and how soon do symptoms appear?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
7/1/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now since seed ticks are just the larval stages of ticks that have recently hatched. Therefore, it is possible, to see Lyme's transmission if they are allowed to attach and feed for 36-48 hours (giving the Lyme disease bacterium time to be transmitted). So, this could be a risk we have to monitor for. That said, in regards ***** ***** second question, if we are going to see active Lyme's disease in a dog, this can take 3-30 days to appear depending on just how much bacteria has gained access to his blood stream.
So, in this case, we do need to tread with care. All the ticks you can find need to be removed and it would be ideal to make sure your dogs are up to date on tick treatments. Further to this, if you see any signs (ie fever, lethargy, lameness, etc), then we'd want to consider erring on the side of caution and having them seen by the vet since they can put them on prophylactic antibiotic treatment to offset this risk +/- vaccinate any non-symptomatic dogs to lower any future infection risk.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )