Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog pooped and after she was dripping bright red blood she was boarded weeks yest…

Customer Question
my dog pooped and after...
my dog pooped and after she was dripping bright red blood she was boarded for 5 weeks yesterday I noticed a tiny bit of red blood at end of stool. today her first poop was normal but she had to go again and after going pure red bllood came dripping out
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
7/1/2015
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 3 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.
How old is your dog?
Is she eating and drinking normally?
Is she fully vaccinated?
Hi again,
I was hoping for some responses first but will go ahead and give you what the most likely causes are.
The most common reason for blood in the stool is parasites such as worms or a protozoan infection such as coccidia or giardia. The fact that your dog was boarded around other dogs for so long a period of times, does make parasites a real possibility.
In some cases these worms are passed in fecal matter or standing water, in other cases such as tapeworms, they are contracted by other methods such as ingesting an infected flea. Most over the counter medicine will only kill one or two types of worms, so your best bet is to take a fecal sample to your vet to determine the type of worms your dog may have and then decide on treatment. Dogs should be checked for worms periodically even if they appear healthy. This is so if your pet does become ill, you are not fighting a worm infestation along with a more serious problem.
For additional information about worms, see this site
http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html
http://www.truecompanionvet.com/site/view/124515_CanineIntestinalParasites.pml
Common dewormers are Panacur, which is a prescription product so you need to obtain it from your Vet and it works on roundworms and whipworms. Wormers labeled as Pyrantel Pamoate are the best over the counter medication for roundworms. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms. Many heartworm preventatives also help control whipworms and roundworms. Another reason to keep your dog on Heartworm medication.
Coccidia manifests as mild or severe diarrhea depending on how infected they are. If it is severe, there may be blood and mucous in the stool along with voming and loss of appetitie leading to dehydration You can read about it here:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1622&articleid=727
Here is some information on giardia.
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/giardia-in-dogs/page1.aspx
Symptoms of giardia are diarrhea with possible terrible smell, mucousy stool and sometimes bouts of vomiting.
Other causes could be anal growths, infected anal glands and inflammation within the large intestine. You can read about the various cause of red blood in the stool here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hematochezia-blood-in-stool-in-dogs/page1.aspx
Now stress alone can cause inflammation in the lower bowel and red blood in the stool. However, it should clear up since she is home. Now if she is not eating, she needs to be seen. If she is eating, just take a stool sample into the vet to be tested and then treat accordingly.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.