Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

My healthy 9 year old Great Dane woke up this morning acting

Customer Question

My healthy 9 year old Great Dane woke up this morning acting like he was dazed. He has spent the entire day on the floor in the living room. I took him out three times and he had copious amounts of urine. He got up once to drink water and then urinated in the living room . He's never done that before . He's lethargic and he won't eat anything. I'm prepared that he might be dying. What do you think?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow woke up dazed this morning, is urinating a large amount and had an accident in the house, refuses to eat and is lethargic. With the symptoms we need to be concerned about metabolic diseases producing increased amounts of waste products or changes in mineral or electrolyte balances that are affecting brain function and interfering with his appetite.Kidney or liver failure, ketoacidotic diabetes, systemic infections or cancer, especially lymphoma would be high on my list of possible causes for his symptoms.He is old for a Great Dane, and that certainly increases the odds of something serious underlying this. But perhaps this is something that can be treated, or at least managed to make him more comfortable for a period of time.I think it is well worth having your family veterinarian examine him, check some basic blood tests and a urinalysis and decide what to do based upon those results.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I just wanted to make sure that you received my response and did not have any further questions. If you have questions feel free to respond or if you are all set please remember to rate my response so that I receive credit for my work, thank you, ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dylan. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara