Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have an 11 month old male Schipperke that is marking in the…

Customer Question
I have an 11 month...
I have an 11 month old male Schipperke that is marking in the house. What do you advise?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
6/29/2015
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.
Is he neutered?
What signal does he use to let you know he has to eliminate?
What obedience training has he had?
What anti marking spray did you use?
What are you cleaning it up with?
How are you cleaning?
Hi again,
I was hoping to receive a response back to my request for more information but I don't want you to wait any longer for an answer, so I'll do my best to give you an answer.
If he hasn't had a medical checkup lately, you should have him checked for a medical condition such as a urinary tract infection. This sometimes causes frequent inappropriate urination.
If it turns out not to be a medical issue, then he is marking his territory. This is sometimes reduced with neutering. You will need to teach your dog not to lift his leg except for urination.
First step will be keeping a leash on him at all times, even in the house when he is not in his crate if you have a crate. If you don't have a crate, I suggest you get one for training purposes. If you can not keep a close eye on him, he should be in his crate or an enclosed area with pads down. While you are watching him, each time he starts to lift his leg inappropriately, you will want to give him a quick short tug on the leash and say "NO" in a LOW TONE, FIRM but not necessarily loud voice.
If you think he might have to urinate, take him outside. You will have to do this consistently. When he urinates or marks an appropriate object outside, praise him highly. If he has a favorite object he's been marking, and you notice him smell it but pass it by, praise him for not marking it. You can also give a very small treat. With the short tug of correction along with the NO, he will quickly realize what NO means if he doesn't already know. High tones of voice and yells have the opposite affect on dogs. Dogs think that loud high-pitched noises signal play, while low toned voices are commands. Dogs yip and bark when playing, but growl deep in the throat to warn or correct. Thus the reason for a low toned firm command.
Practice this all the time, and it shouldn't be too long before he stops marking in the house. Then take the leash off. Still watch him closely. You might notice him sniff at an object and turn and look at you to see if you noticed he didn't mark it.
If he does, call him to you and praise him. If he tries to mark, a No should now stop him. If you are consistent, your dog will learn that marking inside is not acceptable.
Of course, you will first have to get a good enzymatic pet odor eliminating cleaner and wash down everything he's marked that is inside. Other cleaners do not break down the protein that causes the odor and draws them back to the place to urinate again.
A good obedience class can help as well as nice long walks around the neighborhood. This gives him a larger territory to mark along the perimeter and often eliminates their need to mark INSIDE.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.