Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Yesterday my dog vomited yellow liquid. Stool was loose but

Customer Question

Yesterday my dog vomited yellow liquid. Stool was loose but brown. Today his stool was loose but yellow. I gave him chickent and rice yesterday and today. He has ben lethargic. Could this still be from pond water on Friday? Should I conitue whatI am doing?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hello, It does sound like this may be due to some bug that he picked up in the water. Ideally, I would get him seen and started on some antibiotics in case it's Giardia or a bacterial infection. Metronidazole is the antibiotic of choice for these dogs. The other thing you could give that is over the counter, is Pepcid AC (Famotidine). You can give 10 mg every 12-24 hours to help settle his stomach. In regards ***** ***** I would keep giving the bland diet, but also add 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin. The extra fiber in pumpkin will help firm up the stools faster. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.