Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog was treated puncture wound 3 days ago. They stapled…

Customer Question
my dog was treated for...
my dog was treated for a puncture wound 3 days ago. They stapled it up but warned she may retain fluid in her abdomen. She is now and we are Putting hot packs on her. Worried she might need help now rather than wait til Monday morning.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
6/29/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Maggie suffered a puncture wound to her abdominal wall 3 days ago. Was this from a bite wound or a foreign body penetrating?Was the wound surgically flushed and debrided then, or just cleaned topically and stapled?Were they unable to tell if the wound entered the abdomen via radiographs?Is she running a fever (rectal temperature greater than 103F)?Is she eating, drinking and eliminating normally?Any vomiting?Is she active, or does she seem very lethargic?Is her abdomen painful with gentle pressure?Is her entire abdomen swollen and tense, or is the swelling just around the area that was stapled?Any drainage from the stapled area?I'm sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to figure out if this wound has led to peritonitis, damage to her urinary tract system or intestines, all very serious problems, or whether the swelling is outside the abdominal wall and thus less serious.