Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My puppy was chocking last night and I stuck my finger down

Customer Question

My puppy was chocking last night and I stuck my finger down his throat to try and remove whatever it was but I believe I pushed down a lil further and I can still feel something, it feels like his food but he's no longer coughing like he's chocking but he hasn't really been eating any treats. I don't know what to do, I don't want to hurt him.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and would like to help.
The only bad thing would be if you pushed this objecy=t into teh trachea and if this were the case, Jax would be choking and coughing until it was removed. You can be sure that it has entered the esophagus and if this is a piece of food, then it will eventually move into the stomach. It may help to give Jax a teasppon of mineral or vegetable oil which will make this object slide through easier. WE always worry about an intestinal obstruction but if it is food or a small object, the oil will help this pass.
Certainly, if this continues, take sweet Jax to your vet just to be sure.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am happy to help. My goal is 100% satisfaction and if you are not satisfied, REPLY and I am happy to clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much Dr. Loretta. This is Jax when we adopted him from a shelter.
OMG!! He is so cute!! I hope he feels better soon!!
Hi Katie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Jax. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta