Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I have a female sheltie that turned 1 yr on May 5,2015.

Customer Question
Hi. I have a female...
Hi. I have a female sheltie that turned 1 yr on May 5,2015. She came into heat for first time in April. First week in April she bleed, next werk ready, week three bleeding again. So on week foyr I put her with my male on April 27 or 28. Not sure if they locked. It us now June 28 and Sienna began to bleed on the 25 of June. Not sure if puppy are present or this us another heat or infection. Wut should I do???
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
6/28/2015
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.
Has she gained any weight?
Has there been any breast enlargement, milk production, or mucousy discharge?
Has she exhibited any nesting behavior like hiding in dark out of the way places, digging, etc?
Is the male interested in her and is she flagging (putting tail to the side)?
None of the above except for his interest in her. No flagging but if on her back she allows him to lick her vulva. She also will stsnd over his face and allow this.
She is having bloody discharge that was mixed with muscus but now all blood. This would be day 4 of heat cycle if in heat again.
JaCustomer,
Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful.
It doesn't sound like she became pregnant. In fact, to me it sounds likes she may have an abnormal heat cycle. You can read about abnormal heat cycles here:
http://www.labbies.com/reproduction2.htm
She may be having a split heat cycle as well. Dogs can develop uterine infections called pyometra. They occur 60-90 days after a heat cycle. It is usually seen in older unspayed females but can be seen in any age. It is diagnosed by ultrasound showing fluid in the uterus. There are two types of Pyometra (open and closed cervix) Symptoms of open cervix Pyometra are a vaginal discharge that may be pus or bloody, lethargy, anorexia, increased thirst and urination, vomiting and diarrhea, and abdominal swelling though the dog remains fairly healthy due to the infection draining from the body. Closed cervix Pyometra symptoms are the same without much of a discharge, they appear very ill, there is usually weight loss and abdominal swelling and is much more extreme. Dehydration, shock and death can occur if not treated aggressively.
http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/pyometra
Even though she is a younger dog, it would be worth having her checked to ensure it is not a uterine infection. If it isn't an infection, you may as well see if she is willing to mate as sometimes a successful mating will help normalize a females heat cycle. No guarantees, but it does sometimes happen.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.