Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog has never had pups but she gets milk,and I get her the shot,I get home from work

Customer Question
Hi,my dog has never had...
Hi,my dog has never had pups but she gets milk,and I get her the shot,I get home from work and her breast is hard.And the Vets are closed what can I do to help till I can get her to a vet.Shes 9yrs old Rottie,she s uncomfortable and wont listen,Iam telling her to get up.How can I get them to soften,iam squezzing the milk out.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
6/27/2015
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 2 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
Even though she may not have pups, the milk production can put her at risk of mastitist. It is first noticed as a swelling and inflammation of the breast. While it is easy to treat, it can be deadly if not treated quickly. Mastitis is caused by bacteria entering the nipple and gaining the upper hand leading to infection which often can enter the blood stream and thus infect other parts of your female.
You may notice these additional symptoms depending on how far the infection has spread. They are a rectal temperature higher than 103F, poor appetite, and low energy level.
You can try milking the teat. Warm compresses will help with milking the teat. That is one recommend home treatment. You can also use a cool compress to reduce the swell and heat in the infected teat until you can see the vet tomorrow. It is important to get her seen as mastitis can be serious as you probably know.
Additionally, at her age, mammary tumors are also a concern when you get a lump or hard breast. You can read about both of these conditions here:
http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/breeding/mastitis.htm
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1638&articleid=460
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/mastitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx
She is getting up in age and could be considered elderly. I am assuming she isn't spayed since she is producing milk so you might want to do that. Unspayed females are prone to developing pyometra as they get older. It can look like an early heat cycle and usually occurs 60-90 days after the heat cycle. Here is more information on pyometra.
http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/pyometra
It should also stop milk production in the future. Now when she first starts producing milk, you can slow and stop that process by reducing the amount of calories she is eating (usually in half) and keeping fluid intake to once cup of water per 8 pounds of body weight each day unless she has kidney issues. The reduction in fluids and calories helps stop milk production.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?