Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Zaditor (ketotifen) is used as an ophthalmic antihistamine.

Customer Question

Zaditor (ketotifen) is used as an ophthalmic antihistamine. What conditions would benefit from using this product ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
It's indicated to address an allergic conjunctivitis - for example in atopic (allergic to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc.) dogs. It's an alternative to corticosteroids which might be contraindicated if infection is also found in the eyes. What are you seeing and which one of the crew are you considering dosing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is the medication that the Publix pharmacy advised me to get because its o t c when I was asking about medication for Ears. I called , asked what o t c meds that I could just buy contained the product that is in the ear drops that we were given for Sydney . I asked for Ears and was given Eyes. Then I wondered just what this medication was used for. So far as I can tell, all of the pack right now are healthy. However - I went to the apt of El Viejo Andre today , and bathed the Maltese dog of his , the 17 year old mostly blind with the collapsed ear canals. Her eyes were encrusted, they always are, but I get it cleaned off during the bath. During bathing she allows her eyes to be cleaned, I even cut away the gunk and excess hair from around her eyes, and can lift her ears up to put drops inside ( if I"m fast ) . I was wondering if this Zaditor might be helpful for the Maltese. Her eyes looked red and irritated once I got the hair and gunk off from around them. I have been gone for a couple weeks so no one did her, washed nor cleaned her eyes. This was the first day I got there myself from the week I was in Denver then this past week that I have been so bloody sick . ugh
You're a saint. Yes, I recall the Zaditor story. No, don't instill an antihistamine to eyes that probably are too dry due to lack of tears. The antihistamine will likely dry the eyes further. Take care of yourself, too!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So then artificial tears may help this dog ? Her eyes always generate gunk , always. When I bathe her I can get it cleaned off ok and she even tolerates me cutting away the excess hair that matts around her eyes, that's how I just noticed her eyes looking red and irritated yesterday. Maybe it was the matting hair and gunk that was causing the irritation. I so want to be done with all this. Flying so high in the sky was my idea of life , but it has taken a toll now on my health, like the smoking and drinking did too. I know what to do , and I do it. Just that I am such a bloody perfectionist that I want to be perfectly healthy all the time and my little dogs too.
They may, yes, when instilled multiple times daily. Good luck getting El Viejo doing that...