Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog has had diarrhea and a rash/scabs on his belly

Customer Question

my dog has had diarrhea and a rash/scabs on his belly for a couple days now.
he is a 6 mo old husky/collie mix
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible.Has Jasper had any new foods/treats or people food?Has Jasper had all his vaccines yet?Is the grass long in your yard?How is he acting other than the diarrhea?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No new foods.
He has had all his vaccines.
Grass needs to be mowed, but it was cut a week ago.
He seems "himself", playful, loving, excitable, etc.
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.I suspect that the rash on the belly is from being in the grass. It's actually pretty common this time of year for dogs to get rashes on their bellies from being in the longer grass. The diarrhea can also be caused by the dog being irritated by the grass....it can cause a dog to be uncomfortable, which can lead to digestive upset...or vomiting and/or diarrhea.You could try cutting the grass...then, washing his belly 2-3 times a day with a gentle soap (I like using baby shampoo because it doesn't dry the skin and doesn't sting) then patting it dry. You can then apply a topical antibiotic like Neosporin in a thin layer. Try to keep the dog from licking for 5 minutes after application to give it a chance to sink in.I would expect to see an improvement within 3 days or so, but if you don't, then you should have the vet take a peek, just to be on the safe side.I hope this helps.