Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I was wondering if dogs get morning sickness?

Customer Question
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/26/2015
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 3 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi Sir or Madam,
While dogs don't get morning sickness the same way humans sometimes do, they often will have some changes resulting form the shift in hormones. They sill sometime not eat as much and as a result may have a little more bile which in some cases might cause them to vomit up some clear fluids or eat a little grass. But it wouldn't be morning sickness in the way we usually think of it.
One sign of pregnancy is a vulva that does not completely shrink down--it stays soft and a bit more swollen than what is normally seen after a heat cycle. You may also begin to see a discharge that is sticky and dries quickly on the hair around the vulva. Around week four of the pregnancy you might notice a thickening and the start of weight gain and some swelling of the breasts.
Now an ultrasound can be done after 23 days or so from breeding or potential mating. Basically no one can tell you if she is pregnant positively before that time. I usually will just start feeding a female puppy food just in case they mated so she doesn't suffer nutritionally if she is pregnant.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.