Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My one year old dog has a red raw area in the fold of his back…

Customer Question
My one year old dog...
My one year old dog has a red raw area in the fold of his back leg on the side of his abdomen?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/25/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. Peter, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Dog Veterinarian
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Is he licking the area?
I just noticed it today when he was licking the area. After that when I tried to get another look, he growled at me (never done that before) and so I left him alone.
I did not see him lick that area again tonight.
Friend, it sounds like he has what we commonly call a "hotspot" which is an area of infection/inflammation made worst by excessive licking. This is what you can do:
1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area.
2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.
3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.
4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 1-2 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Dr. Peter
I have never seen him licking this area? For it to be this red, wouldn't he have to be licking this a lot? I don't see how I could treat this area myself since he will not even let me lift his leg to look at it.
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 3 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi HELEN,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over***** Peter gave you excellent advice on what is going on and how to treat it. I see where you say you never see him licking the area, but in an earlier post you state you only noticed it because he was licking the ares. He wouldn't need to lick it too much. A dog could possibly get a bug bite (flea, spider, ant even) and lick or chew the bite. Or it might just be that a bath or swim trapped some excess moisture in the area. That excess moisture can lead to an overgrowth of bacteria or yeast that is present on a dog's skin. That can lead to a hot spot as Dr. Peter mentioned.
I'm just trying to give you a little information here. You can create a temporary muzzle to examine the area and/or treat the area. Here is a site that goes over how to make an emergency muzzle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg9IrN8MNZ8
If you feel you can not take care of this yourself, you should have your vet take a look. Your vet can do the initial cleaning and treatment, but you will still likely need to apply medication to the area.
Now the e-collar should help prevent any further irritation to the area or a no bite collar would work as well. See one here:
http://www.bitenot.com/
I hope this helps and you will see that the Doctor gave you a great response.