Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog who is 5 months old has a bit of a swollen penis it…

Customer Question
my dog who is 5...
my dog who is 5 months old has a bit of a swollen penis it is sticking out. this happened 3 weeks ago and we had to take hi in and they put dextrose water on it to reduce it and pulled skin back over it but had to put a staple in for 2 days so it would stay in now it has happened again and I can't aford to take him in the last visit was almost 500
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
6/24/2015
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 3 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
This sometimes happens to male dogs. It may be due to the bulbous glands in the penis swelling outside of the outer skin (prepuce). This makes it hard for the penis to return to its normal position inside the prepuce. Or the hairs of the prepuce may have become caught preventing its retraction. This can cause problems if it is not corrected. You can try putting a little lubrication on the penis such as KY jelly and gently roll the prepuce back and forth and see if the penis will return to it’s normal position.
You can also make a saturated solution of sugar water using warm water. Mix the sugar into hot water until some sugar is left after mixing. Take a hand towel and soak it well and place it on the exposed penis. Be sure it is not too hot. This will sometime draw the fluid out of the bulbous gland and reduce the swelling allowing the penis to retract. This is basically what you are talking about doing and what it sounds like they did at the vet.
If the penis stays erect and will not retract using above methods, you should have him seen by the vet. The vet may have to put the dog under anesthetize to lubricate and return the penis to it’s normal position. You can read about this here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/paraphimosis-and-phimosis/page1.aspx
If he isn't neutered, you may want to consider doing that since he is having these issues.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.

I was just writing to see how things are going and if you found my answer helpful. Please let me know.

Thanks,