petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My dog had cherry eye surgery (they ticked and sutured it -

Customer Question

My dog had cherry eye surgery (they ticked and sutured it - not a removal) and 7 days in he had a suture reaction and the dr took out the sutures and the cherry eye popped out immediately after (cuz not enough time to heal close with stitches) SO dr says another $1000 surgery is needed - when we just paid that a week ago fur the first - I think the suture was the issue (dr said allergy) but the stitches were hard like a rock and anyone's eye would get irritated from a small rock like thing in the eye - I feel duped like the dr is just getting another $$ surgery out of this
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.
..........
It is not common, but when they occur, suture reactions can be a real problem. The suture that is used is very small, almost hairlike and when the procedure is performed the suture is supposed to be buried under the incision, and not rubbing on the eye. There is no way to predict which dog may react to the suture, and when they do, the tissue can become very inflammed and irritated.
........
As far as what is right or not, that is totally up to the doctor involved. Even though there are costs involved with a second procedure, if it were me, I would definitely provide at least a small professional discount of the cost of my time. It really is not a standard however, and really up to the doctor involved.
........
Just one other thought. If you are going to have to pay full price for the procedure again, you may want to have it performed by a board certified veterinary ophthalmologist, who may have more experience with this procedure. This is not a guarantee it won't recur and it is not unheard of that the procedure is performed without complication and after all is healed, the cherry eye recurs, but at least it may be better covering all of your bases.
.....
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z