Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog is mixed cocker spaniel poodle is 15 years old and has a huge tumor on foot it blee

Customer Question
ds quite a bit at...
My dog is mixed cocker spaniel poodle is 15 years old and has a huge tumor on foot it blee ds quite a bit at time . Im concerned of what i should do cause he is also having trouble at times not always getting up his none are quite fragil he sometimes cries when he tries to get up. I do love this dog and dont know if he is suffering and i should take him to be put to rest. I just dont have the guts to do it. Is this normal
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
Im sorry had couple typos . He has fragile bones due to his age at times he can walk fin but easily can fall and has such a hard time getting up I just want to do what ia best for him but my mom doesnt want to put him to sleep what would be the most human thing to do for his sake
6/22/2015
Dog Specialist: petdrz., Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance. Has Brownie been seen by your vet recently? There are quite a few medications that may be useful to help make him more comfortable and able to get up and down easier, but if he hasn't been seen recently, he would need to be examined first.It is quite normal to have questions or doubts when deciding if it is time to let our beloved pet go. You are going through some very tough feelings right now. It is so difficult to watch a pet age and lose some of their abilities. You cannot always use pain as a sign to decide when "it's time." Some of them never get to a point where their life is bad due to pain or discomfort, but they may not have any quality of life left. What I always tell my clients is to look at their pet and decide if they are still getting any enjoyment out of their day. Most owners know their pets pretty well and know the things that, through their life, made them happy. Maybe it was a special toy, going outside, greeting their owner, etc. If they are still experiencing those things, then let them continue until that goes away. Most pets, in terminal stages of discomfort or mental decline, get no joy from the things which previously had an effect. If that is the case, then it is probably the right decision to intervene. As long as they are alive, in your heart, it will never seem like the right thing, but there comes a time when you realize they are really no longer here anyway. I hope this information helps. My heart goes out to you as a fellow pet owner. I do however feel we are their advocates and it is our job to keep their comfort, both physical and mental, at the forefront. If their quality of life is gone, really, so are they.
petdrz.
petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian