Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I have a minuature dauchsund and looks fatigued and wont

Customer Question
Hello I have a minuature...
Hello I have a minuature dauchsund and looks fatigued and wont eat or drink. And shes been chewing on grass. What can I do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
Shes normally very playful when children are around, but she just wants to lay down since yesterday.
6/22/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am very sorry to hear about your pup Mocha's eating grass, refusing to eat and drink and lethargy. Dogs with nausea or gastroesophageal acid reflux often eat grass or foreign material to make themselves vomit. They will often swallow repeatedly and lick things trying to soothe their nausea and acid burn. If they can rid themselves of whatever is irritating their stomach that way then all is good. Dogs that are nauseous also hesitate to eat and drink, so that makes sense as well.It's hard to tell if she is lethargic because she isn't eating and drinking or if whatever is causing her to feel nauseous is making her lethargic too.Possible causes of nausea causing grass eating include a change in diet, dietary sensitivities or allergies, or eating things that they should not like too many fatty table scraps or garbage, bones etc. Addison's which is a poorly functioning adrenal gland is another possibility for waxing and waning vomiting and nausea. Metabolic organ failures (kidney or liver disease), pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease or even infiltrative cancers are possible causes as well. Has she eaten anything she should not have recently (toy pieces, bones, garbage)?Any changes in food or treats? You can give her acid reducers to try and settle her stomach. Either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.OR 2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach. These can be used long term if necessary as they are very safe. I'd also pick up her food and water for now. A couple hours after the pepcid you can offer small amounts of water or ice cubes to lick. No food for 12 hours. Small amounts of water only. After her 12 hour food fast then start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) and 2/3 boiled white rice. Give small meals several times a day. Feed the bland diet for several days, then start mixing in her regular diet and slowly convert her back. If her vomiting or nausea continues then she may need injectable medication from her veterinarian to get her stomach upset under control.So watch her for continued vomiting even with the acid reducers, blood in her stool or vomit or a fever (more than 103.5F rectally), a tense painful belly or lack of appetite after her food fast. If any of those occur it is time to seek hands on veterinary care. If this has been a repeated problem for her consider whether she has been getting different treats or lots of table food, or have you been feeding a different diet? If you go back to the original food, stop table food and treats and her nausea continues even with the acid reducers, fast and bland diet then you may wish to consider using a using a low irritant food, like Hills i/d or Purina Veterinary Diets EN, or a hypoallergenic food such as Hills z/d or Purina Veterinary Diets HA long term. She may have a dietary allergy or a sensitive stomach. It would also be a good idea to have blood tests done as well to make sure there isn't an underlying metabolic problem like pancreatitis or Addison's disease present.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
The thing is she hasn't throw up. Would I still do the same treatment? Also we have not changed anything as far as food or treats.
Yes, it would be the same whether she is just feeling nauseous (which she is) or had actually vomited.I am glad to hear that her diet has been consistent. She may have helped herself to something you don't know about, dogs are good at finding their own "treats" sometimes. The other possibility is that she has something more serious underlying this.It's never a bad idea to have a hands on exam and some blood tests done, or you can try my suggestions and if she isn't coming along over the next 24 hours then have her examined.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mocha. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian