Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a Boston Terrier. She went outside yesterday where

Customer Question

I have a Boston Terrier. She went outside yesterday where all the kids were playing. She came in and yelped when I reached for her and wouldn't let me touch her head. Her eyes were blood red where they should be white. They are still red this morning but it is fading.
She seems fine but doesn't this sound like she had head trauma? She's acting fine, otherwise. Still eating and drinking, playing and cuddling. Should I take her to the vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Yes, such a peracute (sudden) presentation does suggest simple trauma and your finding a sensitive and erythematous (reddened) area above her left ear supports this. It doesn't appear that it has slowed her down and so a visit to her vet should be able to be avoided. Keep a watch on her eyes because in a few cases the scleral erythema (reddening of the whites of her eyes) can be an indication of trauma deeper in her eyes. I don't believe that's likely in a dog who is otherwise normal, however.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.