Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My dog has CHF and is having an exacerbation. Vet is closed?

Customer Question

My dog has CHF and is having an exacerbation. Vet is closed? Can I give her pamabrom instead and how do I dose it?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to try to help.I would not suggest Pamabrom in a patient with heart disease, as it can increase the heart rate and workload, possibly worsening the overall situation. If you are already giving Lasix (furosemide) to Tilly, for management of CHF, then an additional dose of that would be preferable to Pamabrom, in order to help clear excess fluid from the lungs. In addition, I would avoid the further use of Benadryl, since like Pamabrom, it can increase the heart rate and can increase the overall level of stress on the heart.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 2 years ago.
Hi Angelina,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tilly. How is everything going?

Dr. Drew