Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a beagle and I'm going to baby sit a cockatiel

Customer Question
for a week. Can my...
I have a beagle and I'm going to baby sit a cockatiel for a week. Can my dog get sick from any bird seed that drops out of cage and any bird droppings?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
6/21/2015
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 3 years ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
There shouldn't be a problem with your dog eating the small amounts of bird seed that might fall to the ground out of the cage. Dogs can contract Cryptococcosis by inhaling infectious spores that may be present in bird droppings (frequently pigeons. Animals with suppressed or immature immune systems are most at risk of contracting Cryptococcosis. It does have a tendency to strike the nervous system. Symptoms include weight loss and lethargy, and if the central nervous system has been infected you can see head tilts, back and forth eye movements, inability to blink, incoordination, circling and even seizures. Some eye problems may also occur with cryptococcosis. You can read more about this here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/cryptococcosis-in-dogs/page1.aspx
This is usually carried by wild birds but other types of birds can carry it. Here is a site that talks about bird diseases.
http://www.odh.ohio.gov/odhprograms/bid/zdp/animals/birds.aspx
I think your best bet would be to keep your dog away from all the droppings and have the bird away from normal walkways
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you need more information or clarification, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. If you are satisfied, please take the opportunity to rate.