How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 16509
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog who weighs 100 lbs just ingested a small amount of tomcat

Customer Question

my dog who weighs 100 lbs just ingested a small amount of tomcat mice poison out of a block. Should she be affected and what to do
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.I am sorry to hear that your girl ingested a small amount of Tomcat mouse poison from a block.There are several types of rodent poisons. If this is an anticoagulant type then a small amount in a 100 pound dog is unlikely to be any problem. But if you aren't sure of the toxin involved the safest thing is to induce vomiting, and it should be done outside and some produce toxic gas when mixed with stomach acid.Do you know what toxin is in the rodenticide?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Most rat poisons are anticoagulants, but some calcify tissues (cholecalciferol), some are neurotoxins causing brain swelling (bromethalin), and others are phosphide rodenticides which produce phosphine gas in the stomach and can lead to bloating and liver and kidney failure and seizures. With phosphide rodenticides the more food in the stomach the more gas is produced, thus we don't recommend food. To induce vomiting give her 15mls or 1 tablespoon of 3% Hydrogen peroxide orally per 10 pounds of body weight (no more than 3 tablespoon even if she weighs more than 35 pounds, so # ***** for her) then take her out and run her around to get the peroxide bubbling.If no vomiting in 10 to 15 minutes repeat the dose. You can give the peroxide directly or with a little canned food or bread chunks.Once she is done vomiting and her stomach is cleared check to make sure the chunks are there.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hi Rene,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara