Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My dog has a small stick caught in her throat, I can reach

Customer Question

my dog has a small stick caught in her throat, I can reach it but she bites down before I can remove it. Can I safely sedate her
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
This is a common issue in dogs and to safely remove this, anesthesia may be required. You can try giving your gal Benadryl at 2 mg per pound which will make her drowsy...she may be drowsy enough to remove this with a small forcep. There will be trauma caused by this stick even after this is removed and will require antibiotics. If you cannot safely get ths done, have your vet do this for you so the area can be examined looking for serous trauma that may require other medications.
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****