Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog keeps locking his belly, we have take him to the vets many times and the problem

Customer Question
Hi my dog keeps locking...
Hi my dog keeps locking his belly, we have take him to the vets many times and the problem has not be resolved. I am really concerned now I see two yellow pus like spots on him tummy.
He has previously had two courses of steroids please can you give any advice
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
6/20/2015
Dog Specialist: Candy, Veterinary Technician replied 2 years ago
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Hello. I am sorry to hear that Tiny is having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help, I just have a few questions. Does the problem clear up with the steroids? Is this a problem all year long or only at certain times per year?
Yes when he is on steroids it calms down but once he stops taking them after 2weeks he begins licking againyes the past year, before that the he never licked
Thank you for the additional information. If he does well with the steroids then this is likely an allergy to something. Dogs can develop allergies at anytime. In the stomach area it could be due to something he is coming in contact with such as pollen or grass , something in the house like a new laundry soap or carpet sprays or even to something in his diet.If he has any trouble with itchy ears or feet then we would be more inclined to think it was a food allergy. If his ears and feet are ok then environmental would be higher on the list . The only way to know for sure would be for your vet to do allergy testing. Allergies can be one of the most frustrating problems to figure out but it is really important that we try to get to the source rather then just masking the symptoms. The puss indicates infection with is more likely then not secondary to the licking. so we have to stop the licking.I would do the following.* Get an e collar or use a t shirt dog PJ's ect something to keep him from licking his stomach. If he is able to lick this will not heal and will get worse* Clean the stomach twice daily with a wound scrub such as Chlorhex diluted with water to the color of tea. dry well and apply antibiotic ointment to the areas that have puss.* Oral Benadryl can be used to help reduce itching caused by allergies. This is dosed at 1mg per pound of body weight 2-3 time per day. Resicort is a great lave on conditioner that you can keep on hand to help when he is really itchy but we have to get this infection cleared up. Hopefully stopping the licking and doing the steps I mentioned above will help clear this up however, it is possible that antibiotics may be needed so if you see no improvement in a few days I would have him seen by the vet. If you can not afford allergy testing or your vet does not offer this then I would ask about a medication called Atopica which is one of the best medications to manage allergies without the possible side effects of the steroids. I hope this helps give you some options to try before seeing your vet. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. If you have no additional questions please take the time to provide a rating so that I am recognized for having answered your question.
OK great thank you very much for your help.One last question when giving him Oral Benadryl we weights 8kg so how much mg should I give him per dose??
You are very welcome. He would get 17mgs but we can dose as high as 2mg per pound so he could get up to 34 mgs , if you find that the 17mgs is not helping you could go up to 1 25mg tablet twice a day without any problems other then it could make him a little sleepy

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tiny. How is everything going?

Candy
Candy
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician