Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I have a 4 year old rat terrier - she is spayed and actually goes potty on command - she w

Customer Question
as potty pad trained for...
I have a 4 year old rat terrier - she is spayed and actually goes potty on command - she w as potty pad trained for about three years when I decided these really are gross when she misses so I eliminated them... From a few accidents she quickly adjusted and very rarely had an accident.
We just had a big change ( out of state move) which caused anxiety naturally and peeing in the house became worse and worse ( and she knows she is not supposed to) we just moved into the new apartment which is all carpet! It did not take but 30 min before she peed in the middle of the living room (/better said it was a little tinkle so she didnt "have" to go. I can always tell by the way she acts that she did it otherwise I would not have seen it yet.
1. I cannot seem to be able to teach her is to let me k ow when she needs to go
2. I know this may just be temporary anxiety but I know if she starts to pick a spot it will stay the spot and I can't let that happen. - I always had her in a large cra
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
6/20/2015
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 2 years ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
hello and thank you for requesting me. Dogs do back slide for many reasons. IT is possible that even though in your new place the carpets would have to be cleaned before moving in , there is likely some left overs from other dogs. The dog's sense of smell is very sharp. I would take her out every couple of hours , retrain her potty command. make the reward so special that she wants to go out just for the reward after she goes. this would be the only time she gets such a good reward. I would say turkey dog slivers, chicken sliver or cheese chunks may have her remember why she gets them. If she has not relieved herself then it is time to put her back in the crate. For now she cannot be trusted to have run of the home without someone watching her 100% of the time. Some owners find it helps to tether the dog to them when they are home so the dog cannot sneak off. Next where she has peed you want to clean with an enzyme made just for dog urine then start to sprinkle some of her kibble and treats in those areas. Dogs normally do not like to go where they eat and sleep. Eventually you can put a water dish there as it is seen as food Next you may want to teach her how to use a bell to tell you she has to go out. I will direct you to a site that goes over this.
Bell (to go out)http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/2001b/bell.htm Bell videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvmyB3-XOsE
right now if you let her have run of the home you are actually setting her up to fail and we want her to succeed.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian