Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

I have a 11.5 year old dachshund (tweener) about 20 pounds,

Customer Question

I have a 11.5 year old dachshund (tweener) about 20 pounds, have been dealing with swollen rear pads about a year now, they are very soft and puffy. have done soaks , steroids and creams nothing seems to work. they are so swollen that the nails dig into the pads, need to have clipped every two months. was a one to two mile a day walker now starts limping after being out for 5-10 minutes. vet is now writes it off to weight and old age, hard to believe this is what he will have to deal with for the rest of his life. thoughts
thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Ann M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

Can you attach a photo?
Did the steroids help at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

at work so do not have picture, and there was no change after the steroids

Expert:  Ann M. replied 2 years ago.
Okay. I would discuss with your veterinarian the possibility of plasma cell pododermatitis and I would consider trying doxycycline as a treatment, or consider trying Atopica for a month or two. Alternately, I would consider a surgical biopsy... they only need to be under anesthesia for 10mins or so to get a biopsy.
I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.
Expert:  Ann M. replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Baxter. How is everything going?

Ann M.