Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have 2 dogs that do a lot of itchy or biting I believe are

Customer Question

I have 2 dogs that do a lot of itchy or biting I believe are hot spots - getting no sleep - is benedrly ok ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is an OTC antihistamine we use commonly in itchy dogs. So, this would be an option you can consider for them. Therefore, as long as they are both healthy and aren't on any medications you haven't noted, then you can try this now. In regards ***** ***** we tend to give this at a dose rate of 0.5- 2 mg per pound of their body weight (1 -4 mg/kg) orally every 8-12 hours. Do note that we can see drowsiness and sedation with the higher end of the dose (just like people), so you may wish to start with a low to mid range dose for them.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Carol,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Luna. How is everything going?

nekovet