Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Good evening dr. Fiona My dog has big rashes underneath of…

Customer Question
Good evening dr. Fiona My dog...
Good evening dr. Fiona
My dog has big rashes underneath of his neck and he keeps scratching it. Please help me what should I have to do
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
6/19/2015
Dog Specialist: Candy, Veterinary Technician replied 3 years ago
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Hello. I am sorry to hear Yuki is having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.
Rashes can be due to several things the most common being bacterial infection. Often the infection is secondary to scratching that was caused by things like fleas or allergies.Fungal/yeast infection is also possible.
There are some things that you can try at home.
* If you have hair clippers, clip all the hair in the area where the rash is so it can be properly cleaned.
* Clean the area with a wound scrub such as chlorhex or Betadine diluted with water to the color of tea. Rinse well.
* After the area drys you can apply an antibiotic cream
* you can cut the sleeve from a t shirt and slip it over his neck to protect the skin from dirt and keep him from scratching.
* Oral Benadryl at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight can be given 2-3 times per day. Liquid childrens Benadryl is easier to dose for small dogs.
If the area does not begin to clear up after a few days of at home treatment then I would have your vet talk a look.
I hope this helps and he gets well soon.Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.
If you have no additional questions please take a few minutes to provide a rating so that justanswer is notified that your questions have been addressed and I can be compensated for my time.
Candy