Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a 2 year old Golden Doodle, Tucker. Tucker has always…

Customer Question
I have a 2 year...
I have a 2 year old Golden Doodle, Tucker. Tucker has always been playful loving to play anything especially enjoying tug of war with one of his many ropes.
A few weeks ago we were horsing around and Tucker pushed his head against me to try and move me and he whimpered. The next day Tucker was chewing on a Pur Luv Grande Bone treat and started to cry and ran to me and was cowering.
I looked at Tucker and could not see anything. Tucker now turns his head to the side and left and opens his mouth as you would if you had a plugged ear or your jaw was tight.
Tucker's appetite has gone away eating once a day with zero interest in treats and Tucker LOVES treats.
Tucker doesn't want to play at all anymore either.
Tucker increased his head tilting so I took him to a Vet. He spent all day at the Vet with the Vet having trouble diagnosing the issue.
The Vet said that there was some inflammation with Tucker's left Tonsil she did not see any type of abrasion. She did take a sample and sent it out for testing for Cancer which was negative.
Tucker was put on wet food, Amoxicillin and something for pain for 2 weeks.
Tucker is eating better but, he still doesn't want to play and has no interest in treats and to me the most concerning thing is he still is turning his head and opening his mouth.
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/19/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. Peter, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Dog Veterinarian
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry to learn Tucker is not feeling well. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
1- Did your vet take xrays?2- What is the name of the medication he is on?
They did take x-rays of his head and jaw and they were negativeTucker was on Amoxicillin for the infection (they said Tonsilitis)
Carprofen as a anti-inflammatory
He is now done with all the Meds
Friend the history and symptoms you are describing are consistent with either a soft tissue injury or a pinched nerve in the neck. Xrays are great and often tell us all that we need to know. But, they do a poor job evaluating soft tissues or nerves. I would recommend the following:
1- Discuss with your vet about placing him on corticosteroids, these are stronger anti inflammatory. In addition, use Tramadol as a pain killer. 2- Rest him for the next 4-6 weeks; no tug of war even if he is feeling better after starting the above medications.3- If no improvement with the above medications I would consider a consult with a board certified surgeon or neurologist.
Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
.