Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My toy poodle has severe eye infection.can tell me what I can…

Customer Question
my toy poodle has severe...
my toy poodle has severe eye infection.can tell me what I can do to help it?he is going to be 14 yrs. in Aug
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
6/18/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow appears to have an eye infection. How long has this been going on?Has he had any sort of treatment?Is he rubbing his eyes? Do they look swollen and larger than usual?Any history of cataracts?
If this is something that suddenly cropped up my concern is that he may have gotten plant material or debris into his eyes which can lead to a corneal abrasion or scratch. Ideally he would see his veterinarian and have his eyes stained to look for a scratch.I understand that may not be possible tonight.I do recommend that you flush his eyes several times with sterile saline. This is the same solution that soft contact lens wearers use in their eyes, ask the pharmacist or drug store clerk for help if you are unsure.The apply artificial tears every hour or two tonight. You can find these available over the counter at the drug store too. The more lubricated his eyes are the better for them and the more comfortable he will be.Keep him in low light as that will keep him more comfortable.In case this is some sort of allergic reaction give him Benadryl (diphenhydramine) at 1mg per pound orally every 8 hours, that's one 25mg tablet per 25 pounds of body weight every 8 hours. Antihistamines may make him very sleepy which would actually be good.If he is rubbing his eyes placing an elizabethan collar (lampshade collar) on him is best. Rubbing can lead to more severe damage.He should be much more comfortable in 24 hours with a simple scratch but continue the treatment for at least 3 days and have him checked on as soon as possible. If he is not much better in 24 hours or starts pawing at his eyes or he has a green or yellow discharge or bulging eyes he needs to be seen by an emergency veterinarian.However if this has been going on awhile, or his eyes look very swollen then he may have more serious things going on.If he has swollen eyes this may be related to glaucoma, which is a dangerous increase in eye pressure. This is an emergency. If he has a history of cataracts the inflammation from cataracts predisposes to glaucoma.If he has had increased eye debris for a while then he may have a condition called KCS or dry eye. This is an autoimmune like condition in which the body attacks the tear glands and scarring results with decreased tear production. This can be very uncomfortable for them. Ideally we would use an immunosuppressive prescription eye drop to knock down his immune system's reaction and allow his tear glands to start functioning again. Common immunosuppressive medications include Tacrolimus or Cyclosporine eye drops. These drops or the oil vehicle that they are in can be very irritating, especially when his eyes are already so sensitive. We often need to start with medication at a lower percentage concentration level to acclimate the eyes and then increase the percentage in the product. Unfortunately the other problem is that these drops can take several weeks to start working, so you will need to be patient. If you stop too soon then he won't respond. In the meantime I often will recommend using artificial tears too to keep their eyes more comfortable. You can use any artificial tear product, but the drops rather then the gel formulations seem to be a little more soothing.You can add artificial tears, except for the day of his appointment when they need to measure his levels of tear production. You can apply the tears every couple of hours if necessary.Let me know if you have any further questions regarding Casper's eyes.
Hi Mary,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Casper. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian