Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

I have a 16 week golden retriever who has a small marble size lump on her back. It feels l

Customer Question

I have a 16 week golden retriever who has a small marble size lump on her back. It feels like a gland and seems to be sore. Could she be rejecting her chip?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear that Emmy is having some trouble. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help.
Without seeing this area it would be impossible to say for sure what this is. The most common causes for a lump on a young dog would be
* Reaction to the vaccine injection if this lump is at the site where the vaccine was given. In rare cases some dogs will also develop an abscess at the injection site
* Microchip rejection. This is very rare but some dogs can reject the microchip and a large abscess will form over or around the chip.
* Abscess due to injury
* Bot fly larva that is developing under the skin.
Because the area seems sore it would be best to have your vet take a look at it.
Until you can get her in I would apply warm compresses for 5-10 minutes 3-4 times per day.
I hope this helps and she does ok. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to help.
If you have no additional questions please take the time to provide a rating so that Justanswer is notified that your question has been addressed.
Candy