Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

This is the third time I am asking the question. My Lab dog…

Customer Question
This is the third time...
This is the third time I am asking the question. My Lab dog who is 8 years
old has been licking bloodmeal. She has had diahrrea some.. Will this hurt
her. She drinks a lot of water.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dog
6/17/2015
Dog Specialist: Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name is***** will try to help. I am not sure why the other two did not show up.
My apologies. But I am happy to assist you now.
No, it will not hurt her.
Blood meal is not toxic.
Try to keep her from eating any more of it as it does cause gastrointestinal upset.
Withhold food for 12 hours. During the 21 hour fast, she can have all the water she wants. If her gums feel dry to the touch she is dehydrated. In that case, give her 2 tablespoons of children's pedialyte drink with a syringe until her gums are moist. You can buy pedialyte and a syringe at drug stores or walmart. You can use an eye dropper instead of a syringe too.
After the 12 hour fast, gradually offer her small bites of plain cooked chicken and rice.
When her stools have been normal for 24 hours, put her back on her regular diet.
Adding probiotics to her food, can help put the good bacteria back into her intestines which can help with diarrhea. Fortiflora, by Purina, is a good one you can buy at Petsmart.
If she has more than a few drops of blood in the stool, she becomes lethargic, or her gums turn pale then she needs to see a vet as those indicate intestine bleeding and shock.
But I would not expect anything major.
Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?