Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My big dog is holding his right ear and shaking his head but…

Customer Question
my big dog is holding...
my big dog is holding his right ear and shaking his head but not scratching. They are actually clean. I have looked but can't see anything
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog
6/16/2015
Dog Specialist: Candy, Veterinary Technician replied 2 years ago
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Hello. I am sorry to hear that Kode-Blu appears to be having trouble with his ear. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help.
Can you tell me what you mean by he holding his ear?
Is it just one ear?
Any head tilt or loss of balance?
I'm on my job now can I talk to you later without charging
Absolutely. I will be on until 9pm EST so I will be here when ever you have time to talk and there will be no additional charges.
He is tilting his head down sideways and yes it is his right ear! He isn't scratching it tho! I'm home now if you could help me! I do have some mite med. but it just happened yesterday!
Thank you for the additional information.
If his head is tilted and he is shaking his head then this is most often an indicator of an ear infection. Head tilt often happens with a middle ear infection. Because dogs have an L shaped ear canal you will not be able to all the way down there.
Polyps in the ear or even a foreign object or tumor can cause this as well.
The ear really should be looked at, if infected or there is something in the ear then he could develop vestibular syndrome which is similar to vertigo in humans. This can cause head tilt, loss of balance, vomiting, loss of appetite.
What you could do is clean the ear good and see if this helps before going to the vet. I would get a good ear cleaner with a drying agent at the pet store. Fill the ear canal rub gently where the ear meets the head ( you will hear a squishing sound) then allow his to shake his head to clear out the solution. You can then use a cotton ball to dry the ear.
If cleaning the ear does not help then I would suggest having your vet take a look.
Hopefully there is just something in there that is irritating him and a good cleaning will help.
I hope this helps and he does ok. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be more then happy to continue.
Candy
I live in a small town with no pet store! We do have a pharmacy! It there something I could get there! His ears really are extremely clean! I was surprised when I looked yesterday that they were clean and didn't stink! So what is a name of a cleaning solution I can get! We have a fillers tore too but that's about it! 60-75 miles to the closest vet!
Ok what you could try is a sterile saline solution like that used for contact lenses( store brand is fine). Mix 3 Tablespoons of the sterile saline with 1 teaspoon of rubbing alcohol. The alcohol will act as a drying agent.
I am hoping that since the ears are clean and there is no smell that this may just be something in his ear.
To help reduce pain you could give aspirin short term at a dose of 5mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours. Give with food to help prevent stomach upset.
Yes I just looked at it again with a flashlight as far as I could and there is no redness or draining or smell! I rubbed my finger in and around his ear! Is eye wash ok or I need to get the contact lens solution! I don't use stuff in my kids other than neosporin and some aspirin like you said!
Eye wash is fine as long as it is not medicated.
I have a 3ml syringe do i put the whole thing in his ear! Well the solution! Duh!! Lol
LOL I knew what you meant yes you want to fill the ear canal and then rub it good and let him shake it out
I will try that, canny contact you this afternoon to let you know how he is going! I really like talking to someone about my kids! Wish we could send pictures of our precious ones since they are so special to us! I have 5 dogs! 6 cats, 1 one legged cocktail and 3 red eared slider turtles! Thanks a bunch!
Absolutely you can contact me when ever you need to this question never closes for you. I would love to see pictures. I have a whole board of pictures that online customers have sent me. There should be a paperclip Icon on your tool bar to send a picture.
I have to step out for a few minutes but will be back on within the hour ( just gotta make a quick run to the store
Hi, kinda seems at times he is better! Should I try that for a couple days and if not better take him in! These messages are coming in my email on my phone but not my computer! I'm not to computer Davy and not sure how to send you pictures!
If he seems to be a little better I would go ahead and try cleaning it for 2 days and see how he does.
I am not seeing the paper clip icon so there must be something going on with the tool bar on the site
Thanks! He is still eating and drinking! Just really weird! He has been a very healthy dog! Over weight but has been that way his whole life!
Just watch for any loss of balance or loss of appetite. Please keep me posted and give the crew pets all the way around from me
Ok, if I contact you in a couple days will my card be charged again!
Nope just be sure to come back to this same question and do not post a new one and there will be no additional charges
Ok thank you! I appreciate it a lot!
You are very welcome and I hope he feels better soon
Hi, I took Kode-Blu to the dr! He had the start of an ear infection! I got it early so it hadn't started getting stinky or nasty or to swollen! My vet is the son of the teacher I was an aide for 12 years straight! He wasn't surprised I took him in so early! Thanks!
Yay I am happy you were able to get him in and caught it early. You are a great dog mom, most people would not have picked up on the signs in the beginning stages. I am sure he will be back on track and feeling better soon.
Was glad to know how much he weight also! A whopping 85.6 lbs! I give all my kids there own attention each day!
Wow that is a big boy, obviously more mastiff then BC lol.. They are all very lucky to have someone like you to love and care for them. I wish all animals could be so lucky
Candy
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician